February is Dating Violence Awareness Month
Check out Monsoon’s API Youth Council’s February podcast.
What is Dating Violence?
Many young people experience abusive behaviors, but do not identify the abuse as dating violence. For many, these behaviors are incorrectly seen as “normal,” and are not considered problematic.
Dating violence may include:
• Isolation / Extreme jealousy
• Verbal / Emotional abuse
• Intimidation or Threats
• Peer pressure
Teen dating violence can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, age,or socioeconomic status.
5 Signs of a Dangerous Relationship
1. Calls/texts/IMs you constantly and/or checks your email.
2. Embarrasses or insults you in front of others.
3. Acts jealously and does not want you to spend time with others.
4. Consistently criticizes your friends, clothes, or interests.
5. Threatens to commit suicide and/or hurt you or someone close to you if you break-up.