We are hiring! We are recruiting new youth interns for our Youth Program.
If you know a youth who will be perfect for the position or if you are that youth, email your resume to Audri Lu at email@example.com.
Youth Leadership Advocate & Outreach Intern
Job Title: Youth Leadership Advocate & Outreach Intern
Function: Under the direction of the Youth Program Coordinator, the Youth Leadership Advocate & Outreach Intern is responsible for the planning and implementing of monthly educational materials and outreach events for the Asian & Pacific Islander youth in Des Moines. After completing the required training on domestic violence and sexual assault, the Youth Leadership Advocate & Outreach Intern will assist in leading a 10-week, peer-to-peer curriculum on gender-based violence to middle school athletes.
Reports to: Youth Program Coordinator
Hours: 5 hours per week (20 hours/month) / 10 hours per week (40 hours/month)
• 15 years old to 18 years old;
• Bi-lingual verbal and written communication skills, in one or more of several API languages;
• Ability to use computers to store and organize information, perform research;
• Complete Level 1 and Level 2 Domestic Violence training and Basic 20 hours Sexual Assault training;
• Interested in social justice issues;
• Interested in learning about community outreach and organizing;
• Interested in learning about domestic violence and sexual assault;
• Interested in being part of a movement in ending violence against women;
• Practice humility; and
• Bicultural individuals are preferred
Responsibilities & Duties:
• Plan, implement and evaluate community outreach events for the youth, this can include;
• Leading group discussions about different issues affecting youth of API descent
• Providing resources to support youth
• Plan, implement, and evaluate monthly educational material(s) for youth;
• Plan, implement, and evaluate curriculum on gender-based violence to middle school athletes;
• Excellent oral communication skills, this will include public speaking;
• Demonstrated excellence in writing skills that includes the ability to compose varied correspondence in a precise, accurate, and easily understandable manner;
• Excellent problem-solving skills;
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work with diverse groups of people and to handle difficult or sensitive situations and people tactfully;
• Strong initiative, creativity, and self-motivation, including the ability to work under pressure and with deadlines;
• One-year service commitment to Monsoon;
• Complete domestic violence and sexual assault certification from IowaCASA and ICADV; and
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Coordinator.
$10 per hour, 20 hours per month (2 API high school leaders)
$15 per hour, 40 hours per month (4 API male high school athletes)